Monday, February 8, 2010

Ipad a familiar form...


Although I have an affinity for all that is old and hand crafted I am by no means a Luddite. I like many others waited with baited breath for the launch of Apple's new tablet device. I was not let down by its sleek design and modern capabilities. However, the image showing the pad as a convenient travelling lap desk shot my mind back to the travel luxuries of the past. Case in point, the well appointed travel desk which was a modern luxury and marvel of its time.

This early Victorian example in burr chestnut and satinwood does not fail to please the senses and while slower than modern email it allowed the user to keep up with correspondence while on the go. This desk in itself is a sophisticated "device" with compartments for all the implements of writing including a secret compartment....the antique equivalent of the "password protected document."

No comments:

Post a Comment